Senior Footballers beat Raheny to go top of the league.

posted 24 May 2018, 08:48 by Skerries Harps
Skerries Harps put their unbeaten start on the line at home to Raheny on a
warm Wednesday evening. Both teams were understrength with dubs stars Brian
Fenton & Brian Howard  missing for the visitors and Bryan Cullen was a
notable absentee for the hosts.

With a number of injuries to key players in the last game Skerries started
with a young team and the return of Stephen Smith from illness was a timely

The game started and the hosts went into an early point lead with fine
points from Gerry Daly and full forward Donal McIlgorm. From the next
attack the ball was worked across to young Killian Mc Ginnis and he found
the net with a fine finish. It was a fine start by the hosts but should
have been better when a misplaced final pass to McIlgorm prevented a
certain 2nd green flag.

After 12 minutes Raheny started to get a foothold in the game with strong
tackling and patient build up in attack. They managed to get on the
scoreboard with 2 fine points. From a turnover in midfield Raheny broke
with pace and some quick handpassing meant their corner forward had an easy
task of palming to ball to the net and the back post. Some poor shooting
and poor passing was getting the Skerries crowd frustrated. Kevin Gilmore
restored the one point lead but some poor discipline by Skerries on the
stroke of half time meant the game was level 1-4 apiece at the intervel
with Harps shooting 10 wides during the 1st period

The 2nd half started with Raheny getting the next 3 points and dominating
in.most areas..however Skerries were not giving much shooting opportunites
away in defence. It looked to be going against Skerries when Stephen Smith
missed a great goal opportunity from close range and Mc Ilgorm had a goal
harshly ruled out for a technical foul. The introduction of the returning
Rob Mc Key brought some pace to the Harps side. With Mc Ginnis and a Dawson
free leaving the minimun between the sides,  Skerries were righy back in
the contest approaching the final quarter. The next score was a decisive
one when a fisted Mc key effort seemed to have crossed the line and Gilmore
rushed in to finish it off at back post. It was a vital score at a vital
time and Raheny were then reduced to 14 men for a wild tackle on Fionn O
Leary. With the game approaching the final 5 minutes a pin point Dawson
cross field pass left Daly bearing down on goal and he made no mistake with
a fine finish. With the extra man Skerries played some fine keep ball and a
pin point Jack Smith pass saw the over lapping full back Ross Mc Garry
tapping over a fine team score to complete a tough hard working victory.

There were some fine performances throughout and could prove a vital
victory come the seasons end. 5 wins out of 5 Harps see themselves on
top.of the table. Next up is a tough assignment away to Round Towers
Clondalkin after the bank holiday weekend.

Killian McGinnis 1-2
Gerry Daly 1-1
Rob McKey 1-0
Donal Mc Ilgorm 0-2
Kevin Gilmore 0-1
Harry Dawson 0-1 free
Ross Mc Garry 0-1

Alun Cullinan, Fionn O Leary, Ross Mc Garry(capt) Kevin Dalton, Eoin Smith,
Sean Rocks, Jack Smith, Conan Doherty, Eoghan Mc Ginley, Kevin Gilmore,
Harry Dawson, Gerry Daly, Killian Mc Ginnis, Donal McIlgorm, Stephen Smith
Subs used: Rob Mc Key, Adam Bund