Great away win for u12 Camogie team

posted 21 Apr 2013, 15:23 by Skerries Harps   [ updated 21 Apr 2013, 23:34 ]
It’s high noon on Saturday, the sun is bright and the U12 Camogie panel 
gather at Skerries Mills Car Park. They grab a jersey and decide who is going in who's car and they, their supporters and coaches head off to Tymon Park to play Faughs Celtic.  

17 of the panel travelled, the remaining 4 are suffering from injury or sickness (hope you recover quickly girls).  Once there Megan Carroll led the prematch stretches and once warmed up the starting 11 took their places.  Playing up hill and into a wind Skerries exerted considerable pressure early on with a number of attempts at goal, unfortunately all wide.  

Because of the number of girls it was going to be a game with a lot of team changes.  After 15 minutes the first of these changes is made, Sarah Farmer, who started in goal was moved to full forward.  Shortly afterward the ball was played down the right, Dayna Morgan crossed it in and Sarah puts it past the ‘keeper into the corner - first
goal to Skerries.  

By this time the Skerries girls were starting to show some of the skills we know they have with some good strikes out of hand and winning most of the 50/50 balls. Five minutes later and it's Skerries' second goal, Hannah Coleman with a great aerial strike from distance blocked by the Faughs ‘keeper and Sarah Farmer is there again to put it in the back of the net.  

Dayna Morgan then capitalised on Faughs failure to clear from defence pouncing on the ball and slots it past the defence and 'keeper. Just before half time Hannah Coleman was pushed and awarded a free 30 metres out.  She
takes it herself and fires it into the top corner of the net.  The first half was all Skerries pressure with the midfield of Jessica Anyanwu and Claudia Herbert dominating and the half backs Megan Carroll and Claudia Gormley not letting anything past them. Sarah Farmer wrapped up the half by completing her hat trick, scoring from another ball from Dayna Morgan.

Half time and Skerries have scored 6 unanswered goals.  After a drink and the obligatory half time jellies a new look 11 took to the field.  With Emma Parker now partnering Claudia Herbert in midfield the Skerries pressure
continues.  Within five minutes Abby Price, now on at full forward, steers the ball into the net.  This was followed by a great strike by Alanna Holland from about 15 metres out which gave the ‘keeper no chance and had spectators behind the goal jumping out the way through fear the ball would burst through the net.  

Hannah Coleman added to the score with another fine strike that the ‘keeper could not reach.  Kyana McGuinness was providing fine balls in from half forward and it was one of these led a goal from Danu Holland.  Pressure was being exerted all around the pitch by the Skerries girls however fair play to Faughs they kept going and got a breakaway.  Anje Ni Chuin chased back and did enough to put off the Faughs attacker and the shot rolled to now ‘keeper Hannah Coleman.  Mary Halpin was moved up to half forward and immediately got stuck in, unlucky with her first attempt on goal but scoring with her second.  The scoring was rounded off with a fine strike by Megan Carroll.  

Then came the final whistle and after the customary shaking hands with the opposition the girls made a beeline for the park playground.  Well you couldn’t deny them could you!! Thanks to the travelling support, considerable in number as ever.