Girls Football Feile 2015

posted 29 Apr 2015, 00:00 by Skerries Harps

Under 14 Girls successful trip to feile- both teams reached the semi-finals of their groups!

Last Saturday saw for the first time in the club’s history 41 girl’s tog out for under 14 football for Skerries Harps.

The club was delighted to be selected to host the Division 2 Feile, the Division 6 team travelled to Ballinteer.

At 8.30 am on Saturday in the lashing rain, the club was buzzing as preparations were finalised for the Girls football feile in Skerries. At that time a convoy of cars left Skerries for Ballinteer.

Eight teams were represented in the Division 2 Feile which included Skerries, Parnells, Castleknock, Clontarf, Thomas Davis, Fingalians, Ballinteer and Ballyboden St Endas. The event was kicked off at 9.30 with an opening parade around the pitch which was quite the spectacle led by local piper Noel Harford the 200 girls armed with flags and banners marched around the pitch.

After the parade Skerries took to the main pitch for their first match against Parnells. Captained by Emma Parker, the girls started strong scoring a point within the first minute. Strong performances from the team meant a comfortable victory of 5-5 to Parnells 3-1.

The team then had a break, while Ger Halpin ran home to dry the jerseys. Our next match was against Clontarf- which proved to be an extremely tight game. The Gods were not with Skerries, we managed to score 1-2 despite a number of wide’s, however it was not enough with Clontarf scoring 1-4. Conditions were difficult at this point with heavy rain, the pitch was muddy and the ball slippy but the players never wavered.

Following a good break the girls headed back out to driving rain with dry jerseys! This time the match was against Thomas Davis, we had played them 3 weeks ago and were defeated so we went out fighting. The girls outdid themselves with outstanding performances from the entire team. The final score was Skerries 3-1 and Thomas Davis 1-2.

The league ended with Skerries, Clontarf and Thomas Davis on equal points. However based on the conceded scores Clontarf and Skerries went on to the Semi-finals.

Finally the sun came out, the girls were tired but positive. We played Castleknock in the semi-finals on Townparks. Castleknock were impressive with a strong start scoring the first point of the match, whilst our defenders fought hard, they were no match for the Castleknock forwards. Castleknock did not waver and spent most of the 30 minutes in the Skerries half. The final score was Skerries 2 points- Castleknock 1-12.  The final whistle was blown, despite losing there was a great atmosphere on the pitch as the players and mentors wished Castleknock well for Sunday. Fingalians beat Clontarf in the other semi-final.

Thank you to all the parents who helped and supported throughout the day making it a day to remember for all involved.

In the meantime, 22 girls and their entourage travelled through the rain from Skerries to Marley Park on Saturday morning, for their football feile.

We arrived at 9.20 and some of the parents started setting up gazebos supplied with drinks and fruit to act as our base for the day.  After the opening parade the girls had a bit of a wait for their first group game against the hosts Ballinteer St John’s. It was worth the wait as despite the rain the Skerries girls started brightly but could not turn possession into scores in the 1st half.  In the 2nd half, they found their shooting boots and by scoring 2 goals and 1 point whilst restricting Ballinteer to just 2 points achieved the first objective of the day.  It was not long until the second match, this was against Fingal Ravens.  Again the girls set about the task with great gusto and when the match finished they came off soaked and cold but with big smiles having won convincingly 3-5 to 1-0 and knowing with 2 wins they were in a semi final.  The girls availed of the excellent hospitality of Ballinteer before the last group game v Kilmacud Crokes who were also unbeaten. Having taken their foot off the pedal in the first half the girls found themselves well behind.  However with very determined defence, good ball delivery by midfield and some great finishing they out scored Kilmacud in the 2nd half although not quite do enough to claw back the gap, losing 4-0 to 2-2.

Another break, although not from the rain, whilst we waited to find out who we would play in the semi.  It was Beann Eadair, who had been impressive throughout.  So back into the rain for the game. With the crowd willing them on the girls gave a huge effort however it just was not working for them. Cold hands and a slippery ball did not help.  During the second half the desire was still there but the girls had given their all.  Beann Eadair won 3-7 to 1 point.

The girls were disappointed after the game but when they think back to where they were last season they have come a long way so this was still a very good achievement.

Thanks go to all who helped in getting the team ready and who came on the day, particularly a great crowd of supporters.  All of us on the line agreed it had been worth getting soaked to watch the girls play.  A great effort girls well done.