Dublin Minor A Football Championship. Skerries Harps 2-11 v's St Sylvesters 2-10

posted 10 Sep 2019, 00:54 by Skerries Harps
In a hugely entertaining encounter in Broomfield, Malahide, Harps (sponsored by Ridgeway Barbers and Carol Kinsella Chocolates) produced a stunning comeback against a Syls team who dominated for much of this highly competitive championship match. The sell-out crowd were entertained by a Sylvesters outfit who imposed themselves immediately on the game with a strong attacking focus and got their just rewards with a well-worked goal in the first half.  Skerries found it difficult to get into their stride but Callum Herbert in goal, supported by full back line of Dara Gielty, Adam El Shamy and Clinton Opara kept the Skerries boys in it with a series of brave interventions.

Adam Kiernan was winning plenty of possession around the middle and a great point by Naoise Gilmore from a free from an acute angle kept Skerries alive. Matt Dooley and Eoin Thorne worked hard to keep an attacking half back line at bay but overall the Harps forward line were kept quiet. Adam Fearon showed his class to kick two great points from distance in the first half and was a constant thorn in the Malahide defence all day.

Aidan Coleman, flanked by Cian Mullarkey at wing back, worked tirelessly to stem the tide and were instrumental in the ultimate success. Half time Harps 0-5. Sylvesters 1-5

The premium level were still finishing their prawn sandwiches, when Syls were already extending the gap between the sides. The momentum continued with the Malahide lads and an avalanche of points and a well worked goal resulting in the Skerries lads trailing by 7 points with 20 mins to go. Matt Kelly started to dominate further out the pitch and a well worked goal saw Paul Wilde find Kelly in space who selflessly passed to Gilmore who palmed it to the net and gave the Harps a lifeline. 

Finn Chatten exploded into action and a well taken point by the midfield dynamo edged Skerreis closer to their seaside neighbours. Ben Jones and Cian Ensor’s introduction brought fresh legs and huge pace to the back line and things began to change. The introduction of Eoin Wilde and Luke Whelan also created new options up front.

With the stewards already in place for the final whistle, The Boys in Blue needed a goal and a well worked move involving Thorne, Wilde and Chatten put Rob Delaney through and he duly despatched into the bottom corner. At the death, 2 minutes into injury time, Fearon raided up the line, worked the ball into a scoring position and Delaney finished from an acute angle to steal it at the finish.

A great football championship tie contested by two quality teams – a great Dublin GAA occasion.

Scorers – R Delaney 1-6, N Gilmore 1-1, Adam Fearon 0-2, Finn Chatten 0-2